Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Back on the road again

I made it back on the road again yesterday morning. After a two month layoff, I ran my normal neighborhood circuit.

This may not seem like a big deal, but it is. A month ago, I was treated for heart disease. This was done after about a month of minor chest, arm and jaw discomfort whenever I ran or climbed the stairs. The final outcome was that I had a stent put into an artery which was 95% blocked. I also was told that I had other arteries with around a 40% blockage. According to my cardiologist, my running days were over.

I have never been a person who was logged huge weekly mileage totals or won race after race. I think of myself as a fairly typical runner who, between the demands of work and a family, would somehow get in between 12 and 18 miles a week. I had a goal to compete in my first marathon this year.

Suddenly everything changed. My cardiologist said I would never complete a marathon and he wasn't thrilled with my running at all. In fact, he didn't seem to want me to do anything - a pretty tough pill to swallow for a 42 year old man who, while not what I would call a super-jock, did enjoy a more active lifestyle then many of my coworkers and friends.

After a few weeks of trying to sort this information out, I visited my family doctor. His instructions were more clear. Live life - within limitations. The marathon was still out, but I could run. I could lift weights (another activity of mine), but should keep the weight lower than I had been doing to avoid stressing my heart.

I was estatic. There were limitations, but I won't be sitting around watching life pass me by.

And so, yesterday I was back on the road. A very slow pace of running mixed in with walk breaks to be sure. And it felt great!!

--Maddog

No comments: