Like many people, I look forward to a new year because of the possibilities it holds. New beginnings and all of that. I'm not big into New Years resolutions. In fact, I don't think I ever made one. I do think that New Year is a good time to look at your at who you are and what you want to be.
I was reading a blog by Kristin Armstrong on Runners World's web site. She wrote about how she is looking at what she wants to be at the end of the year and then modify her life to match that. I like that idea. Figure out who you want to be and then make changes to your life to match that.
So here we go.
By the end of 2009, I want to be more faithful. Like many, I am searching for what God wants me to be. I feel like I spend so much time doing "things that need to be done" that I am missing out on the bigger picture. I need to take time to stop and read the bible; listen for what God wants me to hear.
By the end of 2009, I want to be self confident. I am not a shy person, but when it comes to making a decision about things, I will inevitably defer to what someone else wants. While being selfless is not necessarily a bad thing, it should not be done at the expense of losing who you are. I need to be able to express what I want without feeling selfish about it.
By the end of 2009, I want to be healthier. I want to set goals for running and keep them. I want to work out on a regular basis and keep it interesting by changing things up occasionally. I want to eat more fruits and veggies and less fast food.
By the end of 2009, I want to be better off financially. Like many people, I have credit card debt. I don't know if it is a large debt compared to others, but I really hate having it hanging out there. I realize that I will not be able to eliminate the entire debt in a single year, but I want to have a plan put together and be single-minded in sticking to it and doing everything I can to be at a better place financially than I was at the end of 2008.
By the end of 2009, I want to be a better person. This is a vague statement that covers a lot of ground. I want to be a better husband, father and friend. I want to be comfortable with myself and spend time looking at how I feel and what I want. This is similar to the self confidence desire, but is really more on the emotional level. I feel like this blog is a great assistance in becomming a better person emotionally. Writing down what and how I am feeling forces me to actually look at how I actually am feeling. This is something I rarely do. Also, putting these feelings in writing makes me to realize that someone may actually read this, however remote that possibility is. I am not writing for an audience, I am writing for myself. But because someone could be reading this, I am pushing myself into areas that are outside my comfort zone.
So there you have it. Not resolutions, just things I want to work on.
I have run a couple of times since my last posting and am planning on getting on the treadmill tomorrow morning.
--Maddog
No comments:
Post a Comment