Sunday, January 11, 2009

Small jobs

I just passed through another weekend. Like many of my weekends, it has been filled with activities. Most of what I did was what I would consider small jobs. These are things around the house that need to be done and are fairly quick to do. Some of the tasks are things that only have to be done as needed; others need to be done on a fairly regular basis. Some are gratifying to have completed; others you do, knowing that you will have to do it again sooner than later.

This weekend I had some of each type. I finally fixed the light on our front porch that had a short in it and replaced the electrical receptical that was not working (as needed and gratifyting). I also replaced the water filter for the house and shoveled/snow blowed the driveway (regular and not so gratifying).

I don't mind doing things like the shoveling all that much. The problem is that it seems that no matter how many times I do it and how clean I get it, it doesn't matter. It will snow again, forcing me to do the whole thing over again. It gets frustrating.

The other thing that frustrates me about shoveling the snow is that I am not supposed to do it. Since I had the stent put in, my doctors have told me not to shovel. This is easier said than done. I have trouble justifying why this is. I am in good health and work out on a regular basis. I have always been careful of shoveling the snow and not over-doing it. My wife and daughters have been a huge help with the shoveling this year, but I still have times that I end up doing it, at least in small measures. I don't think this will change. Even when I use the snow blower, I have parts that need to be shoveled.

All of this babbling is just that; babbling. There is no message or poinient parrallel to life in this. Just frustrations. Maybe part of the frustration is that I have not been running as much as I would like. I ran on Tuesday this week and that is it. I don't feel bad about this. I have been busy doing other things that have kept me from being able to get up and run. These are important and need to get done.

It is all about choices; I choose to work on fixing the garage door opener at the expense of running the next morning. Maybe that is my message. "You can't do everything; make your choices, live with them and learn from them". I feel better about this posting now. I had something at least somewhat deep to say.

Have a great week!!

-- Maddog

No comments: