I ran again this morning. Suddenly, I am running near the pace that I was prior to the whole incident and I'm not sure if that is a good thing. I didn't set out this morning to run quicker, but I did feel good from the start. I continue to use the method of running and walking popularized by Jeff Galloway.
Actually, realizing that I used the Galloway method makes the pace I ran at even more amazing.
Jeff Galloway is a former Olympic athlete who developed a training program based on the goal of keeping athletes injury free. His program is based on the belief that taking walk breaks during a run of any length will help prevent the injuries that many runners get, particularly when they start packing on the miles. There is some evidence that employing the method during a race can actually improve your times. The breaks give your muscles a chance to recover and hit the next period of running more rested. Generally, the ratio between running and walking for experienced runners is 5 minutes running to 1 minute walking.
I always looked at taking a walk break during a run was alright, provided you needed it, but I never tried to employ a scheduled walk break in my run. I have been doing that since coming back from my heart problems in an effort to keep from pushing myself too hard. I may continue to use it to avoid injuries.
Just another example of how life can sometimes force us to change our perspective on matters and allow us to see that things that we held so strongly in our beliefs can be changed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment