How can you find who you really are? Between the different roles you have in life and the expectations that are on you, how do you keep from losing your identity. More than that, how can you figure out who you really are through all of the noise?
I don't feel like I have ever really known who I was. I am a pleaser by nature so I think I have always lived my life that way. You might say I have taken the path of least resistance. It was easier to be who everyone thought I should be instead of being myself. Or maybe that was who I really was. It is really hard to say.
But now, I want to take a good look at who I am. I want to understand myself. The question is, How???
What defines what you really are? Is it what you like to do, the roles you play in life or the way others perceive you? I don't want to be defined by others or use my job to say who I am. And while being a husband and a father are roles I cherish, those roles cannot be all I am. Children grow up and move on with their lives and marriages can go through ups and downs. I have to be more than that.
I think it has to do with a higher calling. Who God wants me to be. Something to think about.
Sorry this post is not as concise or clear as my others, but this blog is for me after all and the questions I am struggling with are difficult to even put into words, much less answer.
-- Maddog
I don't feel like I have ever really known who I was. I am a pleaser by nature so I think I have always lived my life that way. You might say I have taken the path of least resistance. It was easier to be who everyone thought I should be instead of being myself. Or maybe that was who I really was. It is really hard to say.
But now, I want to take a good look at who I am. I want to understand myself. The question is, How???
What defines what you really are? Is it what you like to do, the roles you play in life or the way others perceive you? I don't want to be defined by others or use my job to say who I am. And while being a husband and a father are roles I cherish, those roles cannot be all I am. Children grow up and move on with their lives and marriages can go through ups and downs. I have to be more than that.
I think it has to do with a higher calling. Who God wants me to be. Something to think about.
Sorry this post is not as concise or clear as my others, but this blog is for me after all and the questions I am struggling with are difficult to even put into words, much less answer.
-- Maddog
No comments:
Post a Comment