Yesterday was a big day. This was not planned or expected, it just happened. Two events made the day exceptional, one event being huge, the other relatively small but both representing a new beginning.
The larger event was my baptism. We attend a large church (some might call it a MegaChurch) and they had announced months ago that they would be doing baptisms in August. I was baptized as a child and have never felt a need to do it again, but every time the church announced they were doing baptisms part of me felt that maybe I should do it. This feeling was never strong enough to even go so far as to look into it, and so nothing ever happened. When we got to church yesterday, I had completely forgotten about the event. Only when we walked in and saw the two small pools on the stage did I remember. Now when I say small pools, I don't want you to imagine a kiddie pool. These were 3 or 4 feet deep and about 8 feet round. They had 24 people slated for baptism but the pastor said if anyone felt the calling, the could just walk up, as long as they didn't mind going home wet. The service went on and it was quite moving. Some of the participants shared their stories with us about why they were doing it. As they were playing the last song of the service, my wife looked over at my middle daughter and asked here if she wanted to go up. She did and suddenly, the whole family was up on stage waist deep in cold water being baptized. The ride home was a bit uncomfortable, but sharing the experience with my wife and daughters was something I would not trade for anything.
The second smaller thing was a birthday gift. My birthday is more than a month off, but my wife knew that I would love to have a new pan to do my cooking in. The pan I currently have is probably 12 quart and is an old ceramic on steel pot (much like the old camping cookware, except in white). I love this pot. It has been all over the country to assist in my cooking exploits - from New Orleans to Rochester, NY. But it is getting old and the bottom of the pot is not flat, making it difficult to make a good roux without it burning. The new pot is 20 quart, stainless steel and has a flat bottom. I will use it today to make a new seafood gumbo recipe. I am excited for the new recipe and to use the pan!
So, today I am working on new beginnings. In my spiritual life, I want to be a better follower of Christ and a better leader for my family. In my cooking life, I am looking forward to new challenges and adventures. Wish me luck on both.
-- Maddog
The larger event was my baptism. We attend a large church (some might call it a MegaChurch) and they had announced months ago that they would be doing baptisms in August. I was baptized as a child and have never felt a need to do it again, but every time the church announced they were doing baptisms part of me felt that maybe I should do it. This feeling was never strong enough to even go so far as to look into it, and so nothing ever happened. When we got to church yesterday, I had completely forgotten about the event. Only when we walked in and saw the two small pools on the stage did I remember. Now when I say small pools, I don't want you to imagine a kiddie pool. These were 3 or 4 feet deep and about 8 feet round. They had 24 people slated for baptism but the pastor said if anyone felt the calling, the could just walk up, as long as they didn't mind going home wet. The service went on and it was quite moving. Some of the participants shared their stories with us about why they were doing it. As they were playing the last song of the service, my wife looked over at my middle daughter and asked here if she wanted to go up. She did and suddenly, the whole family was up on stage waist deep in cold water being baptized. The ride home was a bit uncomfortable, but sharing the experience with my wife and daughters was something I would not trade for anything.
The second smaller thing was a birthday gift. My birthday is more than a month off, but my wife knew that I would love to have a new pan to do my cooking in. The pan I currently have is probably 12 quart and is an old ceramic on steel pot (much like the old camping cookware, except in white). I love this pot. It has been all over the country to assist in my cooking exploits - from New Orleans to Rochester, NY. But it is getting old and the bottom of the pot is not flat, making it difficult to make a good roux without it burning. The new pot is 20 quart, stainless steel and has a flat bottom. I will use it today to make a new seafood gumbo recipe. I am excited for the new recipe and to use the pan!
So, today I am working on new beginnings. In my spiritual life, I want to be a better follower of Christ and a better leader for my family. In my cooking life, I am looking forward to new challenges and adventures. Wish me luck on both.
-- Maddog
No comments:
Post a Comment